We are Muslims from Xian Jing area which is located in south west of China. We live in a small city which is regarded as one of the poorest cities except that Allah all might and glory be to Him blessed us natural mineral wealth in form of precious stones. It is obvious that people who trade in them will be there. Consequently, there are is about twenty thousand or more Muslims who deal in these precious stones. This figure does not include those who benefit from the stone. That being said, we can classify them into three groups: 1. Labor force. These are the ones who drill and excavate the mines for salaries form the mine owners. 2. Middlemen. These are the ones who buy extracted minerals and sells them to transporters. 3. Transporters. These are the ones who buy stones from middleman and sometimes from the miners directly. After having large quantity of stones, they go to other Chinese cities and sell them to non-Muslim sculptors and engravers who use 70% of these stones to carve out anthropomorphic shapes such as Idols, statues and animals. The remaining 30% is used to sculpt non-anthropomorphic shapes such as bangles and rings. With regards to pricing, the stones are classified into categories: 1. Very expensive stones which occupy a very small proportion. These are not used by sculptors, rather they are kept for boasting and showing off. 2. Cheap stones which occupy a very large proportion. These are used by sculptors to carve out anthropomorphic and non-anthropomorphic shapes as mentioned above. I would like to inform you that most of the dealers are good men who are dedicated to spending what they have on charity and assisting the poor. Over and above that, they are adherents of the correct aqeedah. Worthy mentioning is that people who are involved in this trade form the backbone of Muslims’ economy. If Muslims stop practicing this trade, it is certain that it will be taken over by non-Muslims, and consequently the economy of Muslims will weaken. In this case the Muslims won’t be left with any choice but to do nothing towards charity. Now my question is: What is the ruling on this trade and how do Muslims give their alms? If it is prohibited how do they spend the wealth that they earned from this trade? Please may you give us a detailed answer supported by evidence and may you be rewarded.
حكم بيع ما يقصد به المحرم